Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Protesters’

BBC | August 1, 2011

Syrian troops backed by tanks have renewed attacks on the city of Hama on the second day of a crackdown on anti-government protesters, activists say.

(more…)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The New York Times | Nada Bakri & Anthony Shadid | July 31, 2011

Syrian military and security forces stormed Hama and other restive cities before dawn on Sunday, killing at least 75 people in what appeared to mark the fiercest crackdown yet by the government of President Bashar al-Assad on the four-month old uprising against his rule, activists and residents there said.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

BBC | July 29, 2011

Tens of thousands of Syrians have again turned out for Friday protests against the rule of President Bashar al-Assad. Troops fired live ammunition and tear gas at protesters, killing two people and wounding dozens, activists said.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

BBC News | July 27, 2011

Syrian security forces have killed at least eight people in a raid on the town of Kanaker near the capital, Damascus, rights groups say.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

The Local | Hannah Cleaver | May 20, 2011

An investigation being carried out at the Provincial Advisory Team (PAT) base has so far established that German soldiers on Wednesday were shooting at protesters’ legs and in three or four cases, at their torsos.

“In one case, according to current information, a hit in the head-neck area cannot be ruled out,” a statement from the Bundeswehr released on Friday said. (more…)

Read Full Post »

Euronews, May 4, 2011

As Syria intensifies its clampdown on anti-government protesters, international pressure on the regime is being stepped up.

It comes as new amateur video, the authenticity of which cannot be verified, purports to show mass arrests in Deraa.

The US has described Syria’s reported tactics – using tanks and arbitrary arrests – as “barbaric measures” against “innocent civilians”. France has called on the EU to impose sanctions on Syrian leaders. (more…)

Read Full Post »

By: Angus MacSwan

April 5, 2011

BENGHAZI, Libya — The International Criminal Court has evidence Muammar Gaddafi’s government planned to put down protests by killing civilians before the uprising in Libya broke out, the ICC’s prosecutor said on Tuesday.

Protests against the government that began on Feb. 15 swiftly descended into civil war after Col. Gaddafi’s forces opened fire on demonstrators. He then put down uprisings in Libya’s west, leaving the east and the city of Misrata in rebel hands.

NATO-led air power is now holding the balance in Libya, preventing Col. Gaddafi’s forces from overrunning the seven-week old revolt, but unable for now to hand the rebels outright victory. (more…)

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »