Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘horn of Africa’

Eight killed as Somali Islamist foes clash

Fighting began with an attack by the Al Qaeda-inspired Shebab on Jana Abdala, a Hezb al-Islam-controlled village west of southern Somalia’s main port of Kismayo, which was itself the scene of major fighting last week.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Rift between Somalia’s rebel groups deepens

Sat Oct 3, 2009 8:48am EDT

By Mohamed Ahmed

MOGADISHU (Reuters) – Somalia’s two main insurgent groups clashed on Saturday near the southern port of Kismayu and residents said al Shabaab and Hizbul Islam were squaring up for battles elsewhere in the Horn of Africa country.

The rebel groups fought for control of the lucrative port and main airport in southern Somalia this week. Al Shabaab won the battle, in which a local rights group said at least 28 civilians and an unknown number of combatants were killed.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Somalia: Civilians flee fighting in Kismayo


NAIROBI, 1 October 2009 (IRIN) – Heavy fighting between two Islamic groups in Somalia’s port city of Kismayo erupted on 1 October, with dozens killed and hundreds of families displaced, local sources told IRIN.

“The fighting started at around 7am local time, with exchanges of heavy weapons fire by the two sides,” Abdulkadir Ali, a resident, said.

Tension had been building between Al-Shabab and Hisbul-Islam over who should administer the city. It boiled over following a decision by Al-Shabab to ignore an earlier agreement that control of the city would rotate between them.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

(AFP) – 2 hours ago

MOGADISHU — At least eight civilians were killed in Mogadishu when Islamist insurgents attacked African peacekeepers prompting an exchange of gun and artillery fire that hit civilian targets, officials and witnesses said on Wednesday.

The fighting erupted on Tuesday in southern Mogadishu’s Maka Al-Mukarama road where the African peacekeepers from Uganda are stationed but it later spilled over into other areas.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Source: L.A. Times
By Julian E. Barnes and Edmund Sanders
September 16, 2009

Reporting from Washington and Nairobi, Kenya – The deadly U.S. military strike in Somalia this week, carried out by a team of commandos in helicopters, was designed to limit civilian casualties while targeting an Al Qaeda-linked suspect, American officials said Tuesday.

A U.S. official familiar with details of the raid said the special operations forces had tracked Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan for some time, but waited for him to move away from a populated area before attacking.

“We’ve all learned how important it is to avoid civilian casualties,” the official said. “In both counterinsurgency operations and specific counter-terrorism strikes, we have striven, particularly in recent months, to be as precise as possible.”

Read Full Post »

By AP

The top United Nations humanitarian official today expressed his growing alarm at the continuing abuses and civilian casualties in the conflict in Somalia, as well as the challenges faced by humanitarian workers who are increasingly the target of violence. (more…)

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts