Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict’

July 6, 2009 by POPEYE
Filed under Afghanistan

(MILITARY TIMES)   CAMP LEATHERNECK, Afghanistan — The U.S. military made public new guidelines Monday for its troops in Afghanistan, battlefield rules that seek to protect Afghan civilians and greatly reduce the number of civilian casualties in an increasingly deadly war. (more…)

Read Full Post »

By KURT STREETER
July 12, 2009
Her words made my heart sink.

“I want to go back,” she said, speaking by phone from her home in a rough section of Baghdad. She was speaking of America. “I want to go back, as soon as I can.” (more…)

Read Full Post »

By: Relief Web

Source: Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission; Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC); Human Rights Watch (HRW); Oxfam

WHAT: A coalition of NGOs including the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict (CIVIC), Human Rights Watch (HRW) and Oxfam International sent an open letter today to Heads of State and Government attending this week’s NATO Summit in Europe.

The Summit, to be held in France and Germany April 3 – 4, 2009, will center on the UN-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) strategy in Afghanistan.

The letter calls for the immediate creation of a uniform, coordinated system of condolence payments for civilian death, injury and property loss resulting from the actions of international forces.
(more…)

Read Full Post »

By Kim Gamel, Associated Press

BAGHDAD – In the evenings, women in black gather at Umm Fatin’s house to remember the dead.

Each family in the four neighboring houses in Tahrir, a former Sunni insurgent stronghold in Baqubah, has lost loved ones to bombings or shootings. Yet these deaths and countless others have fallen under the radar of the Iraq war. Nobody keeps an accurate tally of Iraqis killed because nobody knows. (more…)

Read Full Post »

By ABDUL WAHEED WAFA and JOHN F. BURNS
The New York Times

KABUL, Afghanistan — Tensions between American forces and the Afghan government over civilian casualties from coalition airstrikes spiked again on Wednesday with a report by Afghan officials that a missile from a United States aircraft had killed 40 civilians and wounded 28 others at a wedding party in the southern province of Kandahar.

Afghan officials said casualties from the airstrike, on Monday, included women and children. The United States military command said it was conducting an urgent investigation with the Afghan Interior Ministry. Although the command’s statement made no mention of a missile strike or any death toll, it appeared to acknowledge the possibility that noncombatants had been killed. (more…)

Read Full Post »