Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Air Strike’ Category

BBC | Matthew Price | August 11, 2011

The Libyan government has taken correspondents to Zlitan, to see the aftermath of a Nato strike that it says killed 85 civilians. Nato says it hit a military staging base. The BBC’s Matthew Price went along to weigh the competing claims.

A photocopied version of Ernest Hemingway’s The Old Man and the Sea lay in the rubble. Next to it were school books, their pages fluttering in the light breeze. (more…)

Read Full Post »

AFP | Herve Bar | August 9, 2011

BENGHAZI, Libya — The United States has launched a diplomatic offensive against Libya among African nations as Tripoli accused NATO of a “massacre” of 85 villagers in air strikes in support of rebels.

American diplomats are visiting several African countries as part of efforts to urge leaders to press Libyan strongman Moamer Kadhafi to leave power immediately, officials in Washington said on Tuesday. (more…)

Read Full Post »

CNN | Ivan Watson & Jomana Karadsheh | August 5, 2011

Zlitan, Libya — A grown man sobbed as friends led him out of the mosque. Mustafa Naji al-Mrabet’s left hand and feet were bandaged, there were bloodstains on his robes, and the valve for an intravenous needle still stuck out of his arm. He was both a husband and a father, deep in mourning.

Nearby, his brother-in-law, 26-year-old Abubakr Ali cried like a child. Ali pulled back the blankets covering two small coffins. Inside lay the bloody bodies of his nephews, Mohamed and Motez al-Mrabet, ages 5 and 3. Their mother Ibtisam lay in a coffin beside them. (more…)

Read Full Post »

VOA News | August 4, 2011

The Libyan government is accusing NATO of bombing civilian targets in Zlitan, a western town that has been the scene of recent clashes between pro-government and rebel forces.

The government made the accusations through its state-controlled television station on Thursday, a day after officials denied rebel claims that opposition fighters had gained control of the town. (more…)

Read Full Post »

The Associated Press | New York Times | July 30, 2011

SANA, Yemen (AP) — Government airstrikes in southern Yemen against Islamist militants accidentally killed 14 pro-government tribesmen, a Yemeni security official said Saturday.

The botched airstrikes reflect the difficulty the imperiled government has had battling for survival on multiple fronts since a popular uprising against the longtime president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, began six months ago. Armed tribesmen are fighting government forces in a number of areas around the country, and Islamist militants, some allied with Al Qaeda, have overrun entire towns in the restive south.

(more…)

Read Full Post »

Los Angeles Times | David S. Cloud | July 21, 2011

The Obama administration is considering sending more Predator drones and other surveillance planes to bolster the NATO air war in Libya, and has reopened a debate over whether to give weapons to the rebels seeking to overthrow Moammar Kadafi, a senior Defense Department official said.

NATO commanders requested the sophisticated surveillance aircraft after concluding that they were running out of military targets in Libya after four months of bombing and missile strikes against Kadafi’s military forces and command facilities, U.S. and NATO officials said. (more…)

Read Full Post »

ACLU | Jonathan Manes | July 19, 2011

For well over a year now, the ACLU has been urging the government to level with the public about the number of civilians that are being killed in its drone strike/targeted killing operations. The government has been tight-lipped — refusing even to confirm or deny the existence of any records relating to civilian casualties in CIA drone strikes. Last month, however, John Brennan, the White House’s top counterterrorism advisor broke this silence, telling reporters that “in the last year ‘there hasn’t been a single collateral death because of the exceptional proficiency, precision of the capabilities that we’ve been able to develop.'” (more…)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »