CNN | June 7, 2011
Tripoli, Libya — At least 25 loud explosions rocked Tripoli midday Tuesday, as NATO airstrikes hit a military base and near Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi’s compound.
Libya State TV reported that buildings and infrastructure near Gadhafi’s compound were destroyed in the strike.
The blasts Tuesday and others Monday, that Libyan officials said hit state television buildings, elicited heated responses from a government spokesman.
“We believe NATO understands that its military campaign is failing miserably,” said Musa Ibrahim, the government spokesman. “No one has the right to shape Libya’s future except for Libyans.”
Ibrahim said Tuesday’s morning blasts hit the popular guard compound and revolution compound, which are military barracks near Gadhafi’s Bab al-Aziziya compound.
Ibrahim said the attack on the television network killed two people and injured 16.
NATO disputed the account.
“We did not target or hit the Libyan broadcast facilities. What we did target was the military intelligence headquarters in downtown Tripoli,” the alliance said. “The story coming from Libyan officials that we targeted and hit the state broadcaster’s building is bogus.”
The back and forth between Libyan officials and NATO continues a public relations war between the two sides.
Libyan officials have continually charged that NATO airstrikes have damaged civilian facilities and killed hundreds of civilians.
NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said recently that his forces have made “”significant progress” in its U.N. Security Council mandate to protect Libyan civilians.
This week, the Libyan government said it had evidence that alliance airstrikes were harming civilians.
Officials took journalists to Tajura, a city east of Tripoli, to show them a small crater which held what appeared to be the remains of a rocket.
The reporters were also taken to some nearby homes that the government said was damaged by airstrikes.
NATO, reached later by phone, said it had been active in the area hitting military sites but it could not confirm the attacks caused the damage in the residential area.
The group was then taken to a nearby hospital to see Nasib, a comatose baby — a victim of the airstrikes, the government claimed.
A woman, whom the government said was Nasib’s mother, cried over the child’s listless body.
Journalists were not allowed to talk to the grieving woman or doctors. But a doctor quietly slipped a note to one of the journalists.
The girl was injured in a car accident, the note said, and not a bomb attack.