7 May, 2011
At least one civilian was killed in a joint Afghan and foreign forces military operation in eastern Nangarhar province on Friday night, local officials said on Saturday.
The operation was launched in Ghowchak area of Sorkhroad district of Nangarhar province in which one person was killed and two others were captured by Afghan and foreign forces, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, a spokesman for governor of Nangarhar told TOLOnews.
Mr Abduzai did not provide more details about the operation and said they have started an investigation.
Isaf has not yet commented about the operation.
Meanwhile, the residents of Sorkhroad said the one civilian was killed in the operation and two other civilians were taken away by Afghan and foreign forces.
The incident happened after four people were arrested by foreign forces operation in Batikoot district of Nangarhar province on Friday, Mr Abdulzai said.
Foreign forces have started interrogating the captured men, he added.
Afghan and foreign forces had previously launched operations to capture the Taliban local commanders and insurgents that planned attacks against government and foreign forces.
Insurgents have increased their activities in most villages in the province and often use Improvised Explosive Devices to target Afghan and foreign forces in the province.