March 18, 2011
ISLAMABAD – Pakistan says it will not attend the next round of talks with the United States and Afghanistan in protest over an especially deadly American missile attack. A foreign office ministry statement says Pakistan will not attend the trilateral talks proposed by the United States for Brussels on March 26. Pakistan had been scheduled to send its deputy foreign minister to the meeting. The U.S. Embassy declined comment because it was not aware any meeting had been proposed. Friday’s cancellation is a sign of rising tensions between Islamabad and Washington. They were already high over the case of an American CIA contractor who shot and killed two Pakistanis but was freed this week. Pakistan said around 36 people died in Thursday’s strike in North Waziristan.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
ISLAMABAD (AP) — Hundreds in Pakistan are protesting the release this week of an American CIA contractor who killed two Pakistanis. The protesters rallying in the capital Islamabad are directing their anger at the United States and their own government. Small demonstrations were also held on Friday in other Pakistani towns and cities. Raymond Allen Davis was released from prison on Wednesday as part of a deal that saw the heirs of his victims receive $2.3 million in compensation. Washington insisted Davis was a diplomat and had immunity from prosecution. Many Pakistanis either did not believe this argument or did not care and were demanding he be tried