The News International
Monday, March 14, 2011
ISLAMABAD More than one million Afghan refugees still residing in Pakistan will return to Afghanistan by December 31, 2012 and all-out efforts are being made within the framework of strategy/policy to repatriate maximum number of Afghan refugees in coordination with the Government of Afghanistan and the UNHCR. According to the Ministry of Safron, a total 542,000 Afghan refugees have already returned to their home country and at present, 1.611 million registered Afghan refugees are residing in Pakistan to be repatriated under the repatriation programme till December 2012. Out of 1.611 million, 44 percent Afghan refugees are residing in 42 camps whereas the remaining 56 percent are residing outside the camps according to “Registration of Afghans in Pakistan” carried out by Nadra between October 2006 and February 2007. This indicates the quantum of the total registered Afghan refugees as 2.153 million at the time of registration by Nadra. Now, after repatriation, the presently remaining population of the total Registered Afghan refugees is 1.611 million as per data prepared by Nadra.