KABUL, Afghanistan, Feb. 21 (UPI) — U.S. military officials said they were investigating claims that civilians were killed during operations in Nangarhar and Kunar provinces.
An undisclosed number of civilians were reported killed after international forces fired on suspected insurgents seen placing what the U.S. military said were improvised explosive devices along a road in Nangarhar province.
The International Security Assistance Force said it was investigating reports of civilian casualties after a roof collapsed in the wake of the insurgent engagement.
“Following the engagement, coalition forces observed three vehicles traveling to a local hospital,” reports ISAF. “The passengers of the vehicles later reported the roof of their compound collapsed during the engagement, resulting in the casualties.”
Tribal elders in Kunar province claimed that at least 50 civilians were killed during operations there last week.
ISAF said video surveillance of the area showed 36 insurgents were killed during the attacks. Targets observed by the international forces were believed to be carrying weapons.
“We take allegations of civilian casualties very seriously,” said U.S. Army Col. Patrick Hynes in a statement. “We are conducting an immediate assessment of these allegations and will report our findings.”
ISAF stressed the Kunar raid took place at night in a remote area with very rugged terrain.