India News Portal
October 17, 2010
A NATO soldier was killed in a roadside bomb attack Sunday in southern Afghanistan, where two civilians were killed in similar blasts, officials said.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force confirmed the death of a soldier, but did not reveal the nationality. Most of the foreign troops deployed to the southern region are from the US, Britain and Canada.
More than 590 international soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan so far in 2010, the deadliest year for US and NATO troops since the ouster of the Taliban regime in late 2001.
One civilian was killed and four others injured when an explosive-packed motorbike was remotely detonated in the southern city of Kandahar Saturday night, Zalmai Ayoubi, spokesman for the provincial governor, said.
One more civilian was killed and two others were injured Saturday night when suspected militants fired on a fuel tanker in the eastern part of Kandahar city, causing it to explode, he said.
Kandahar province is the focus of a major offensive by Afghan and NATO-led troops this year. Thousands of combined troops are currently taking part in the operation that has expanded to districts circling Kandahar, the spiritual home of the Taliban.